Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The Lightning Dreamer

I saw The Lightning Dreamer: Cuba's Greatest Abolitionist in a pile of used books for sale at the library.  It caught my eye because (1) it looked brand new, (2) it had a beautiful cover and an "Honor Book" award on it, (3) the summary inside the book jacket looked intriguing, and (4) the book was written in verse.  Needless to say, I paid the $1 and bought the book.  This book is based on the life of Gertrudis Gomez de Avellaneda, known as Tula, a young woman in Cuba in the 1800s.  She became an abolitionist and poet and spoke up from a young age against slavery and spoke for women's rights.  This book tells her story as she courageously speaks up for the basic rights she feels that she and those around her deserve.

This was a super quick read (like 20 minutes) but a really good book.  I knew nothing about Tula or about Cuba during this time period, so I felt like the book educated and inspired me while also being beautifully written.  (I love books written in verse.)  I think it's great to be reminded that there were times and places where women were not supposed to read or think or make choices; it just helps me remember how blessed we are to live with freedoms.  I also loved that Tula valued books and reading (since she was not supposed to read).  Part of the book reads Books are door-shaped / portals / carrying me / across oceans / and centuries, / helping me feel / less alone. or Each day, after my lessons, the nuns / let me visit their marvelous library, / where I feel as if I have entered / heaven on earth.  Beautiful.

Rating: * * (2/3 = Liked it)

No comments:

Post a Comment