Saturday, June 2, 2018

Hello, Universe

I saw Hello, Universe by Erin Estrada Kelly on the New York Times bestsellers list for children's books, and it caught my eye. It wasn't until after I read it that I realized it also won the Newbery Medal this year! (How did I miss the 2018 awards announcement a few months ago??) The book follows four kids in the same neighborhood--Virgil, Valencia, Kaori, and Chet. The inside of the dust jacket reads, "When Chet pulls an unthinkable prank on Virgil and Virgil's pet guinea pig, Gulliver, the lives of these four middle schoolers collide in surprising and unexpected ways. Just a coincidence? Or are some things meant to be?"

I really enjoyed this book. The book switched among three characters' points of view, which was I really liked. The characters were all so endearing, and I think the author did a great job developing each character and engaging me as a reader. I loved the conflicts and how things tied together in the end. I read the book mostly in one day since I kept wanting to pick it up, so that's always the sign of a great read. I think it's a well-deserved Newbery winner.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment