Saturday, June 2, 2018

Refugee

I saw Refugee by Alan Gratz on the New York Times bestseller list for children's books. It tells the story of three fictional (but could be real) refugee children--a Jewish boy in 1940s Germany, a girl in Cuba in the 1990s, and a boy in Syria in 2015--and their journeys to escape the danger their families are facing.

This was an amazing book. It had me hooked from the beginning and was just heart-wrenching. I liked the quote on the cover that said, "Some novels are engaging and some novels are important. Refugee is both." I think that is completely true. This book really opened my eyes to the reality of the plight of refugees. Some parts were just painful to read, but it's because it's real and this is what refugees really have to go through. This was a very meaningful book and one I probably want to own. Highly recommended!

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment