Saturday, June 27, 2020

Song for a Whale

I can't remember where I first saw Song for a Whale by Lynne Kelly, but I added it to my to-read list and then got it from the library. (I maybe saw it on an award list for the Schneider Family Book Award, which is for books that highlight a disability experience.) This book is about 12-year-old Iris, who is Deaf and also a genius at repairing old radios. One day in school she learns about Blue 55, a real whale who speaks at a different frequency than other whales and is unable to communicate with them. Iris becomes fixated on his story and wants to find a way to sing to him herself.

I loved this book and found the story very engaging. I loved the characters, and even though parts of it seemed a little unrealistic, I didn't really mind too much. Because I have a terrible memory, I can't remember much else of the details of how I felt about this book, but I'm pretty sure I cried.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment