Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Client

After reading John Grisham's two books for young adults, I decided to move up in the world to his adult books.  The Client is about 11-year-old Mark who, along with his 8-year-old brother Ricky, witnesses an attorney commit suicide.  Before the attorney commits the act, he confesses to Mark some secrets about his client--a mafia member accused of murder.  Soon, Ricky is in the psychiatric ward from the trauma, and the police start asking Mark questions about what happened.  Mark realizes that he has to find a lawyer and has to figure out what to do with the information he has before the mafia finds him.

This was a really great book.  I loved the main characters (Mark and his lawyer, Reggie) so much.  I loved how well developed the characters were.  The book got me to laugh, got me a little choked up, but mainly got me completely, continually freaked out due to the awesome plot twists.  I kept wondering how the book was going to keep the story going for the length of the whole book, but it did it--and it did it well.  I also liked how the book covered the points of view of lots of characters. The only downside (another reason why I tend to prefer young adult/children's literature) was a bit of language.  And there were a few parts where I questioned if it really would've happened the way it did....but hey, it's fiction.  I think I will start reading a lot more of John Grisham's books, so if you're reading this, and you've read some and have a favorite, let me know.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment