Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Testament

I wanted to read more John Grisham books and had The Testament recommended to me.  It is about billionaire Troy Phelan who has 3 ex-wives and numerous children--all anxious to get his money as soon as he dies.  Troy has a better plan than giving his money to his selfish, reckless descendants--he writes a secret will, gives it to his attorney, Josh, and then commits suicide.  The new will leaves all his money to an illegitimate daughter--a young woman named Rachel, serving somewhere in Brazil as a Christian missionary to Indians.  Josh sends his lawyer friend (and recovering alcoholic) to Brazil to track Rachel down, while the rest of Troy's descendants and their lawyers fight the new will.

This was another really great book.  The story was really compelling, and it also had a great message of change and redemption.  I loved the characters, and the plot kept me guessing.  Unfortunately, I didn't love the ending; I was just bummed about how it turned out.  But, I do have to give John Grisham credit because even though I didn't like the end, he left no questions unanswered.  I have felt that in all his books--he's really a master at addressing every detail.  In my reading, I tend to consider a lot of what-ifs, and he seems to just cover everything, so I never am left wondering.  Another good book!

Rating: * * (2/3 = Liked it)

No comments:

Post a Comment