Friday, January 6, 2012

Kira-Kira

Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata was the Newbery medal winner in 2005.  This book is about Katie, a Japanese-American girl who adores her older sister Lynn.  When Katie's parents have to close their grocery store, the family moves to Georgia where the parents work long hours at menial jobs to help the family save money for a house.  Soon Lynn gets very sick, and Katie is full of questions but is given no answers--but tries to use Lynn's optimism to keep the family together.

This was a very well written book--made me laugh out loud but also made me cry (ie., bawl my eyes out).   There is a strong plot, and I loved how the book was written from Katie's point of view.  It's just great to read a book that really captures a child's point of view.  The only downside to this book is that there was a little bit of language and some references to inappropriate things, so I wouldn't really consider this a children's book even though I think that's its intended audience.

Rating: * * (2/3 = Liked it)

No comments:

Post a Comment