Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I, Coriander

I got the book I, Coriander by Sally Gardner from a student when I taught school, and for some reason, I never got to reading it until now.  It's the story of Coriander, a young girl in England in the 1600s, whose mother dies, and then a few years later, her father disappears.  She's left with her evil stepmother and an even evil-er preacher, but she soon finds an escape into another world where she discovers that her mother had been a fairy princess.

This was a nice read--well written, thoughtful language and great characters; I loved the ones I was supposed to love and just despised the ones I was supposed to despise.  I also liked the historical background in the book (Oliver Cromwell, etc.).  The only downside to the book was that I didn't love the parts of the book where she went to the other world--maybe because it reminded me of some not-as-enjoyable books I've read where similar events take place.

Rating: * * (2/3 = Liked it)

No comments:

Post a Comment