Thursday, January 5, 2012

R My Name is Rachel

I saw R My Name is Rachel in the new book section at the library and recognized the author, Patricia Reilly Giff, as one I've liked in the past.  This book takes place during the Great Depression where 12-year-old Rachel lives with her dad and younger brother and sister in the city.  When her dad loses his job but gets a chance to work out in a town in the country, they move to a run-down farm house.  Even worse for readaholic Rachel, the town school is closed because they can't afford a teacher.   When the job doesn't work out and Pop has to leave the kids alone in search of work, things move from bad to worse--but Rachel and her siblings find a way to make the most of what they have.

This was a quick read and just a wonderful book.  I love this author's language and descriptions, and Rachel was a wonderful and relate-able character.  (And I loved all the other characters too.)  It was a great book to put a face on what the Great Depression was like, and the book was just full of detail.  Loved it!

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like one I would like! I'll have to read it next time I have time (and who knows how long that'll take). I also really like the cover, which definitely helps. Because if I don't like the cover, I won't read the book, haha.

    ReplyDelete