Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Amina's Voice

I heard about Amina's Voice by Hena Khan during my last semester of school where I became much more educated about diverse books and diverse authors. From the author's website, here's a book summary: "Amina has never been comfortable in the spotlight. She is happy just hanging out with her best friend, Soojin. Except now that she’s in middle school everything feels different. Soojin is suddenly hanging out with Emily, one of the 'cool' girls in the class, and even talking about changing her name to something more 'American.' Does Amina need to start changing too? Or hiding who she is to fit in? While Amina grapples with these questions, she is devastated when her local mosque is vandalized."

I really loved this book. It was beautifully written and was completely engaging. The characters were well developed, and I felt like the book was filled with realistic conflicts and solutions. I really enjoyed the book, and I loved that it helped me learn about and understand a culture different than mine.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment