Tuesday, June 18, 2019

The Gown

I read The Gown: A Novel of the Royal Wedding by Jennifer Robson for book club. The book follows three narrators--Ann and Miriam in London in 1947, working as embroiderers for the wedding gown of the princess, and Heather in Toronto in 2016, who yearns to know more about her recently deceased grandmother's mysterious past.

This was a great read! I got engaged in the book pretty easily and then wanted to continually keep reading to see how things worked out. The book did have lots of things that were kind of "too good" or things that just worked out so nicely that I kind of had to chuckle, but I enjoyed that about it because it was just a pleasant read. The book did have some sad things too, including a kind of graphic scene, but it was overall a happy (and appropriate) read. The ending was super well concluded, but I almost didn't agree with how okay all the characters seemed with how things turned out. It seems like it shouldn't have been okay, but oh well. I really enjoyed the book and am glad I read it. Book clubs are great for getting me to read books I would have never read otherwise.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment