Saturday, June 1, 2019

Just My Luck

I came across Just My Luck by Cammie McGovern online recently--either while searching for books for my girls' book club or while looking at book lists during my Children's Materials course in school...can't remember which. The book is about fourth grader Benny Barrows. When Benny's father has an accident, Benny's family's life changes forever. The book follows Benny and his friendships, his relationships with his family, including his brother George who has autism, and his efforts to find a way to stand out at school.

I just loved this book! I read it extremely quickly because it was just so engaging. I loved the characters and just loved how the book emphasized kindness and seeing the best in people. I felt for Benny and his family and all they went through with the dad's accident, and I really admired Benny for how having an autistic brother affected him in a positive way. One quote in the book stuck out to me in particular--it's a part where the dad is back in the hospital after another serious scare. Benny says, "Mom says this whole business with Dad reminds her of when George was little. 'You don't think you could ever, in a million years, handle it, and then it happens and you do. You just go one day at a time and suddenly you realize, here I am. I'm handling it'" (p. 159). I loved that because I feel like it totally just explained how the family coped, and I also have felt that same way in some of the difficult times in my life. Very relatable. I'd highly recommend this book.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment