Thursday, June 6, 2019

Save Me a Seat

I came across Save Me a Seat by Sarah Weeks and Gita Varadarajan while searching online for ideas for my book club, and while I didn't choose it for book club, I wanted to give it a try. It is about two fifth graders at Albert Einstein Elementary School--Joe, a kid who is bullied at school, and Ravi, who just moved to New Jersey from India. The book follows them through the first week of school (switching perspectives each chapter).

This was such a great book! It was a super quick read, mostly because it just hooked me and I wanted to keep reading it all the way through. I loved the two characters and watching how they saw the same situations from their different perspectives. I also loved reading in the authors Q&A at the end how the authors came together to write the book and how the background of Gita influenced Ravi's character. I think this is a great book for kids to see how assumptions are often wrong and about the importance of kindness. I think I'll pass this one onto my daughter next.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment