Saturday, June 1, 2019

Merci Suarez Changes Gears

Merci Suarez Changes Gears by Meg Medina is the Newbery Medal winner for 2019. I'm feeling lazy, so I'm grabbing a sentence summary from Kirkus Review: "Merci navigates the challenges of being a scholarship kid at a posh South Florida private school and the expectations of and responsibilities to her intergenerational family."

This was a really sweet book. I loved following the well-developed characters and seeing where the story would lead. I finished this a few weeks ago and am just deciding to try to do some catch up on the blog, so that's about all I can remember to chime in on this book. But I thought it was a well-deserved Newbery. I also liked that this book has a diverse main character, which is not common enough in children's books (but luckily becoming more common). Just reading the book offered a window into a different culture, and I really enjoyed it.  It was maybe somewhere in between liked and loved, but I'll just put it down as loved. 

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment